Mountain bike is one of the biggest categories in cycling world, there are a lot of cyclists who even ride both road bike and mountain bike in different seasons. So in this guide, we will break down the MTB in parts and explain everything you need to know about the mountain bike. Let’s dive in.
Table of Contents
Get to know mountain bike
What is Mountain bike
Mountain bike types
BOOST mountain bike
- Significantly more rigidity, optimizing the bike’s handling efficiency and precision.
- Wider rear wheel allows the rear lower fork length to be trimmed down with it, improving handling sensitivity.
- Shock pivot spacing is increased, resulting in more rigidity.
- Wider rear hub allows for more options for gearing.
- Improved clearance between the front fork and rear fork.
Mountain Bike Parts
Mountain bike frames
The importance of the frame
Mountain bike frame types
1. Hard Tail (HARD TAIL)
2. Soft-tail frame (SOFT–TAIL)
3. FULL SUSPENSION
- Single point of rotation frame
- Four-link frame
Hardtail vs Suspension Frame
- Weight about 1400 grams of cross-country frame has been very common, while 2000 grams or less of the full shock frame is very little, for those DH bike frame is often more than 3000 grams.
- Maintenance Compared to hardtail bikes, full shock bikes require very careful tuning and maintenance, and its rear shock must be precisely set to achieve the desired effect.
- Most of the full shock frames will absorb part of the rider’s pedaling force, causing a cascade of force.
- From the use of value and use of the scope, lightweight off-road vehicles are not only sports equipment, or very good walking tools and travel equipment. The cross-country bikes with bald tires and hard forks can reach very high speed. Full shock absorbers due to its huge size, large weight and the disadvantages of diarrhea when riding, making it very limited and not suitable for general riding.
- In terms of maintenance, full shock bikes require more professional maintenance, and domestic bike shops are still very imperfect and irregular, not only the repair parts are not easy to find, but also the related technical support is very lacking. There are only a few bicycle shops that can provide warranty and guarantee.
- In the same time, the price of a full shock absorber will be more expensive. The one-time investment for newcomers will be larger. And the choice of newcomers often comes with blindness, once you find that this type of riding is not suitable for you, the loss will be relatively heavy.
MTB Frame Materials
Carbon fiber Mountain bike Frame
- Extremely light weight: carbon fiber road frames of about 1200 grams are already everywhere. Since the mass of carbon is only 1.6g/cm3, making a frame of about 1kg is no longer a dream.
- Good shock absorption performance. Carbon fiber can effectively absorb shocks and maintain very good rigidity. This feature makes it a very good material for competition level.
- Can make various shapes of frame. Unlike the general manufacturing process of metal frames, carbon fiber frames are generally made by first making a mold, then paying the carbon fiber sheet on the mold, and finally gluing it with epoxy resin. This process can be used to make a frame with minimal wind resistance using aerodynamics.
- Complicated stress calculation. The carbon fiber frame is composed of carbon fiber, which is characterized by strong tensile strength, but weak shear strength, processing requires complex stress calculations (longitudinal rigidity, transverse rigidity), according to the calculations to overlap the carbon fiber pieces into shape. Generally speaking, the impact of carbon fiber against the surface is quite good, while the puncture resistance is very poor. It does not matter if you drop the vertical shot horizontally, but the fear is to drop the vertical shot across the process of encountering a sharp stone or two, that can not be taken to the welding can be solved.
- Expensive, and titanium compared to the price of carbon fiber frame has never been more expensive, to the top of the carbon fiber frame prices are tens of thousands, and the price of the C40 and C50 Konarco even more than $3000. This is mainly because the production process of carbon fiber frame requires a lot of manual work, and the scrap rate is very high, resulting in a large increase in costs.
Mountain bike wheelset
Mountain Wheelset Sizes
Mountain bike handlebars
Mountain bike fork
Mountain bike groupsets
Mountain bike brake
Mountain bike tires
Mountain bike seatpost
FAQ about MTB
1. Mountain bike frame size chart
2. Mountain bike tire pressure
3. Mountain bike vs Road bike
4. Mountain bike forum and magazine
- Pinkbike comprehensive mountain bike website, with its own forum and used trading section, involved in covering many mountain bike races, very rich content
- Vital MTB – Mountain Bikes, Reviews, Videos, Races and a sister site vitabmx, both are comprehensive websites with forums and second-hand trading sections, with comparative reviews of major brands of mainstream models
- bikejames.com. mainly introduces the training methods and techniques that can be used by all kinds of mountain bikers. The content is very rich and practical
- Mountain Bike Review is a comprehensive website that introduces all kinds of accessories and equipment for mountain bikes, with its own forum, colder than pinkbike, but more friendly
5. Most expensive mountain bike
6. Mountain bike weight
- Cross-country bicycle: the general weight is usually about 10kg to 15kg.
- All-mountain bike: the weight is usually between 14kg and 16kg.
- Free riding mountain bikes: weight is usually around 14kg to 20kg.
7. Mountain bike maintenance
8. How to adjust front derailleur on mountain bike
9. How to adjust rear derailleur on mountain bike
Now over to you:
What’s your favourite mountain bike type?
Or you just start riding MTB as a beginner?
Or you want to upgrade your MTB bike to next level?
Either way, please share your thought in comment!